Thursday, June 5, 2014

Brain Dump - June 5th


Click here to read yesterday's brain dump.

Click here to read Kevin's brain dumps.



a. I sat outside this morning. It was quiet with the wind blowing (it felt like a cool fall morning), and there I quieted myself and was reassured of God's great power and mighty strength to take care of me and my family. (Isaiah 40:26)

b. My soul was nourished by Isaiah 40:11 again today -- Lord tend to us, gather us, carry us, and gently lead us.

c. We went to the Fort Worth Public Library today. The kids read books while KB and I talked. I was surprised to read the sign stating that iPads could be checked out for children to use to play educational games during their library visit.
d. I'm excited about the wealth of school resources and programs that I'll have access to now that I'm living in a larger city.

e. Today was a re-evaluation and readjustment day. Kevin and I had a game plan for our move here, but since we've arrived in Texas, we've found ourselves under pressure (mostly self-induced) ... pressure to hurry up and get in a house and get settled.

f. Although it would have been really nice to be in our own home, we have chosen to slow down a bit and avoid being rash and rushing into things.

g. Kevin and I sat down face to face -- no cell phones -- and talked things through. I listened and he talked. I listened some more and he talked. I listened again and he talked some more ... then I talked! Can you tell who the talker is in the family? ;-)

h. It's tough at times to really discern the Lord's direction. I struggle at times knowing if I should move forward or not do something. Nowhere in the bible does it specifically tell us what house to buy. Honestly, we were at this crossroad this week; not knowing what God was saying about one house in particular. Our hearts were troubled, and we felt a tremendous amount of pressure, and even wallowed in fear.

i. This verse has been a rock for me to lean on: Isaiah 46:12 - I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them.

j. News Alert: God has not forsaken us!!

k. We decided to heed the wisdom in proverbs and not rush into things. Once we reached this resolve, we experienced so much peace. It's amazing, and it's a good place to be in. We are letting peace be the umpire of our souls (Colossians 3:15).

l. Family and friends:  your prayers and words of encouragement are so helpful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

m. Today it was Kevin's turn to select a place to eat. He chose the Ol' South Pancake House.

n. Zoe's kitchen was across the street. Although, I had to internally resist the strong urge to skip across the street to eat there, I put on a smile (it started off fake), and as a family we all ate at the Ole Pancake House.

o. I work extremely hard not to let food choices divide and conquer my house. It's not always easy for me.

p. Cathy Truett said, "Food is essential to life. Therefore make it good." -- one day Kevin and I will see eye to eye on what good food is.

q.  The ladies at Ol' South Pancake House gave us a complimentary German Pancake - filled with powdered sugar, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and butter. It tasted like lemon pie.

r. Kevin forced me to drive in downtown Fort Worth today so I could get accustomed to driving in the big city (no slight against Greensboro, but this place has way more highways, stop lights, and cars).

s. Kevin was supposed to help me navigate my way, but he fell asleep. The Texas heat + sugary pancakes is not the best driving combination.

t. We visited Marty (our dog) today. He was so happy to see us (at least that is what I perceived from his constant jumping on us). The vet allowed us to take him outside for a walk. The kids really missed him. Surprisingly, no one cried when it was time for us to leave him again.

u. Things are so great here at our friends' home. Their hospitality is beyond great. Kevin and I see God knitting the hearts of our two families together.

v. God is working, and He is surely establishing our community of friendships beginning with the friends we are living with temporarily.

w. The days are quickly going by. What used to be my norm is now the old, and soon I'll have a new norm.

x. When I think about home in NC, and the fact that life goes on and people move on, I struggle and am afraid I will lose those relationships that mean the most to me. Will time apart strengthen those relationships or cause them to die?